Parution : Script and glyph : pre-hispanic history, colonial bookmaking and the “Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca”
- Leibsohn, Dana. Auteur
- Pillsbury, Joanne. Editeur scientifique
- Dumbarton Oaks research library and collection (Washington, D.C.). Éditeur scientifique
Dana Leibsohn is Associate Professor of Art at Smith College.
Résumé de l’éditeur
The Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca was created at a pivotal transitional moment, bridging an era when pictorial manuscripts dominated and one that witnessed the rising hegemony of alphabetic texts. The Historia was composed using both systems, yet, as Dana Leibsohn notes, neither was fully trusted. Leibsohn analyzes the choices made by the patron, don Alonso de Castañeda, and tlacuilos enlisted to create the manuscript. How does one create a history? Which narratives are included, and which are strikingly absent? Which modes of representation are called upon to convey certain types of information? Leibsohn argues how the very practice of history-keeping itself sustains or challenges a current reality.
Central to the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca is the creation, representation, and understanding of landscape. In the recording of ancestral migrations, don Alonso delineates territory, noting boundaries and their histories, and also reveals relationships with a sacred landscape, detailing how relationships with territory were constantly re-inscribed. In this sense, Script and Glyph is a particularly appropriate volume for Dumbarton Oaks, as it crosses the boundaries of Pre-Columbian and Landscape areas of study. The volume is beautifully illustrated with color images from the manuscript itself.
- List of Illustrations ix
- Foreword xi
- Preface xn
- Acknowledgements XV
- Introduction : Pre-Hispanic Legacies, Colonial Books I
- Chapter 1: Subjects of History 13
- Chapter 2: Of Allies and Rivals 38
- Chapter 3: Writing the Land 62
- Chapter 4: In the Guise of a Pre-Hispanic Past 93
- Appendix 1: Major Paintings from the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca 105
- Appendix 2: Sixteenth-Century Documents from Cuauhtinchan 169
- Bibliography 178
- Index 194
- Editeur : Washington, D.C. : Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection ; [Cambridge, Mass.] : Distributed by Harvard University Press
- Date de parution : 2009
- Description matérielle : 1 vol. (XV-199 p.) : fac-sim. en coul., carte, couv. ill. en coul. ; 28 cm
- Collection : (Studies in pre-Columbian art & archaeology ; 36).
- Bibliogr. p. 178-193. Index
- ISBN 978-0-88402-361-6. – ISBN 0-88402-361-3 (rel.)
- PARIS-BnF : Tolbiac – Rez-de-jardin – magasin : 2010-288655
- PARIS-Médiathèque MQB
- Disponible en ligne, url : <https://www.jstor.org/stable/41263482>.