Parution : Exploring art of the ancient Americas : the John Bourne collection
- Reents-Budet, Dorie
- Walters art museum (Baltimore, Md.)
- Bourne,John. Préfacier
- Tobin, Susan. Photographe
- Dorie Reents-Budet is consulting curator for art of the ancient Americas at the Walters Art Museum and curator at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Dr. Reents-Budet is the author of Lords of Creation: The Origins of Sacred Maya Kingship (with Virginia Fields, 2006) and Painting the Maya Universe: Royal Ceramics of the Classic Period (1994).
- Jessica Arista is an assistant objects conservator for the ancient Americas exhibition at the Walters Art Museum; she previously held internships at the Walters and at the National Gallery of Art, Washington.
- Glenn Gates is conservation scientist at the Walters Art Museum; Dr. Gates was previously head research scientist at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
- Julie Lauffenburger is senior object conservator at the Walters Art Museum, co-editor of A Lost Art Rediscovered: The Architectural Ceramics of Byzantium(2001), and a contributor to Untamed: The Art of Antoine-Louis Barye (2006).
- Marc Zender is visiting assistant professor in the Department of Anthropology at Tulane University. He is the co-author of Reading Maya Art: A Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Maya Painting and Sculpture (2011).
Résumé de l’éditeur
This stunning new volume features objects from the internationally renowned Bourne Collection of pre-Columbian art spanning assembled by John Bourne in the 1950’s and 1960’s. It features fine examples of painted earthenware vessels and figures, carved basalt effigies, jewellery and vessels from Mesoamerica, Central America and Andean America covering a host of civilisations, including Teotihuacan, Olmec, Maya, Andean, Aztec and Mixtec.
In addition to John Bourne’s fascinating account of his first expedition to Chiapas in 1945 and 1946, which started his passion for collecting, there is an extensive essay on authentication, a significant part of the study of pre-Columbian art. Each of the three geographical sections of the main catalogue opens with an introductory text on the art, culture and ceremonial features of that region, followed by discursive entries accompanying each work.
Published to accompany an exhibition at the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore: ‘Exploring Art of the Ancient Americas: The John Bourne Collection Gift’, February 12, 2012 – May 20, 2012.
- Éditeur : Baltimore (Md.) : Walters Art Museum, Baltimore in assocation with D. Giles Ltd.
- Date de parution : 2012
- Description matérielle : 1 vol. (256 p.) : ill. en noir et en coul., cartes, jaquette ill. en coul. ; 29 cm
- Bibliogr. p. 246-251. Notes bibliogr. Index
- ISBN 978-0-911886-76-4 (br.). – ISBN 978-0-911886-76-4 (br.).
- PARIS-BnF : Tolbiac – Rez-de-jardin – magasin : 2014-70852
- PARIS-Ecole du Louvre
- PARIS-Médiathèque MQB